Georgia Lily

Georgia Lily
My Love Bug

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New Date for Surgery

   I recieved a phone call today from Dr. Li's nurse, the neurologist seeing Georgia, we got some disappointing news, Georgia's surgery has to be post-poned. The EMU (epilepsy monitoring unit) is going to be under construction, expanding the unit. We still will be admitted next week for all the testing that I previously wrote about but will be discharged Friday. So as it stands right now, May 10th is the new surgery date and should not be changed again. We have two options, the doctor has not decided which surgery he is going to do and will not know until next weeks when all the tesing is done, it will either be a surgery to do brain mapping, which is where they open up the head and attach 300 leads to her brain and monitor her or it will be the functional hemispherectomy. If Dr. Li decides to do the brain mapping, they will monitor her brain activtity for a week and then May 17th they will take off the leads and do a focal resection, which is where they isolate a part of the brain (the problem child) and disconnect it from the brain surrounding it. The focal resection would be a far better option depending on where in her brain it is. Either way, Dr. Li is going to do the least invasive surgery that he can to make Georgia all better.

   I also got some very good news, Dr. Li does not like medicine and prefers not give it out like candy like our previous doctors, basically pick from the hat and there we go...He wants medicine only to be taken for a short time. I had to call today to get the doctor to up Georgia's dose on Lamictal to her previous therapeutic dose but was pleasantly surprised when I was told that the doctor was not going to do that but rather put her on a new FDA approved drug at a very small dose to hold us over until next week when we are admitted. Georgia has been having a lot of seizures, I'm not sure if it is because she feels the anxiety in the air or because the new season or what but anyway, an increase in seizure activity is an increase and we need to address that. Also, if we do a focal resection she will be on the meds for a year depending on how the surgery goes or only about 6 months if we do the hemispherectomy again depending on how the surgery goes. I cannot even imagine not having to give Georgia her meds, we have been giving her meds since she was 6 months old...Good times ahead!

   At first, I was kind of upset that her surgery was going to be moved back, I want to get it behind us so that we can get our daughter back to us and also because it is weighing on my nerves, but I'm at peace because I know that God is working out the details. He is going to see us through it and as so many people have reminded me, if I have been dealing with this for three years, what is a few more weeks? And, if there is a possiblity to do a simpler surgery with less side effects than I am for that. Only God holds the key! I trust Him completely! "I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, My God, in Him I will trust."" Psalm 91:2

As Jamie Grace sings,

You lead, I'll follow, Your hands hold my tomorrow,
Your grip, Your grace, You know the way,
You guide me tenderly,
When you lead, I'll follow,
Just light the way and I'll go,
Cause I know what you got for me is more than I can see,
So lead me on, on, on and on,
Just lead me on, on, on and on,

Letting the Lord lead us, He knows best! Praise God!


  1. Nothing happens without going through the filter of His Wisdom and Will. Dr. Li sounds like a good one. Focal resection is a much better option, despite the increased time on meds.

    Michele and I will continue to pray that the Lord will heal her without the surgery.

    Pastor Bill

  2. God's timing is always perfect...thank you, LORD, for Dr. Li!